21 December, 2004

Call Me Reactionary...

It's started. Well, it actually started during the first Dubya campaign, but it's reached the point where it's become obvious. It's now official: Everything bad may be placed at the feet of the homosexuals.
A few of you may have been following the Target boycott by Christian fanatics. To those of you who are unimformed, Target has a policy of allowing no solicitacion in front of their stores. They had been ignoring this and allowing the Salvation Army to collect during December. They recently decided to apply their policy evenhandedly and exclude the S.A. with other charitys. Now the religious fanatics have decided where the blame for this lies: The Homosexuals.
Don't tell me that you didn't suspect it. The Homosexual Lobby apparently controls all of the cultural and economic resources (now that Jew-hating is out of fashion). Or course they're "Taking Back Target" (Read: Tar-DJAY). After completing their domination of the major fashion collections, can't you see Issac Mizrahi demanding (with a foot-stomp, no less) that Target be removed from competition with his couture.
"It's wrong to kick them out," said Tim Wildmon of the American Family Association in a quote published in the Washington Post. "It wouldn't surprise me if homosexual groups are behind this." (Click on this post's title for the full story.)
Now, my friend Jack is going to disagree with this, but Jack's not Jewish. His experience with the Shoah is limited to an American education. I didn't live through the shoah, but I've studied it. It's a horrible legacy, and not just the camps. Just as terrifying is the betrayal of the Jews as scapegoats by the entire society. The Right now feels comfortable placing the blame for anything with homosexuals.
"That can't happen here," seems to be the general response. This is America. Oh, excuse me. I thought that the Salem Witch Trials were in America.

I'm sorry.

I was under the impression that the Japanese-Americans Internment Camps were in America.

I'm sorry.

Until now, I believed that McCarthy terrorized in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

I'm not sorry.

NOW is the time for those who stand for freedom to speak out. I leave you with a poem:

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.
--Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945

No comments: